What is local by you right now?
I started keeping track of what is local to me in March last year. It has been a fun journey.
- Arugula – I’m still in love with this bitter green
- Asparagus – It’s still just me who likes this
- Chard – Chard is still one of our favorite greens
- Cherries – I cannot wait to see these in large quantities
- Collard Greens – One of my favorites
- Fennel – We’re going to have to get some of this
- Garlic Scapes – I have still yet to find these
- Onions – Always on our counter
- Kale – Always in the fridge
- Morels – I have never found these… apparently this would require looking through the woods… and I don’t generally do woods
- Wild Mushrooms – Morels would also fall into this category
- Nettles – I have never seen these
- New Potatoes – Way better than old potatoes
- Pea Greens – My peas decieed not to grow so I have no shoots or greens
- Radishes – Mine are about ready to harvest… or were they beets… crap… I forgot what I planted last fall
- Scallions – I still have some in my freezer
- Strawberries – I cannot wait to go pick these fresh from the field with grammie again
We do have quite a bit that are year-round foods. My assumption is that this is due to storage of root vegetables/pods and greenhouses.
- Spinach (We like to buy it frozen as we use it mostly in smoothies or soups)
- Sweet Potatoes
Do you have any suggestions or ideas? What can you not wait for?