Grocery shopping? I’m game! Here’s how I did this week:
What was on the list?
- Nothing… we are not going grocery shopping while moving… there is no fridge to put the new food in at the house yet.
What did I come home with?
What was thrown out this week (AKA things found in the way back of my cabinet while moving):
- 2 boxes of Jiffy Mix (Expired 5/16/12)
- 1 Can Hunts Sauce (Expired 1/22/12)
- 1 Can Whole Potatoes with tons of dents on it
- 1 Can Chicken Pot Pie Style Progresso Soup (Expired 5/11/12)
- 2 Cans Hearty Tomato Progresso Soup (Expired 3/29/12)
- 2 Cans Healthy Choice Pot Roast Soup (Expired 6/14/12)
- 1 box Swanson Chicken Broth (Expired 12/16/11)
- 3 Potatoes that kept being forgotten in the drawer
- 4 granola bars found in bag under bed… no expiration dates on them… and no idea when purchased
- A Tomato
- Head of romaine lettuce
- Hunk of now moldy cheese
*For those of you that have been complaining about the amount of food I throw away: Mr. Wonderful and I enjoy having meals made from home, but with our schedules that is not always possible. Each week I plan on making 3-5 meals that will also generate left-overs for me to eat for lunch. I try to purchase fresh produce that is able to be frozen and stored if we are unable to get to it right away. That said…. all of the can goods on the list below were given to us from others that had cleaned out their cabinets. I try not to use a lot of packaged goods or soup and I have to keep an eye on my sodium intake. Occasionally some produce gets by me. I have not had much time to do anything other than packing/moving in the last two weeks. Fresh produce? I cannot tell you which location my cutting boards or knives are in. Please forgive me. Usually the celery would be frozen, the potatoes would be lunch/dinner and the tomato would be frozen to used in a sauce later. We run a pretty tight ship and nothing gets thrown out until it cannot be used anymore. Eventually I would like to compost the fresh produce, but for right now this is where we are. I intend to continue being open and honest here as it helps me keep track with myself. It will be easier to keep track of food in the new place when I do not have can goods mixed in with pots and whatnot due to lack of space. Wish us luck!*
What did you throw out this week?