Mr. Wonderful came home with a surprise for me the other day… a box of wine… wine… in a box?
Yes, Mr. Wonderful bought me a boxed wine. In all honesty we had been doing some research on the subject and while it does seem like the more environmentally friend, easier to open, stays fresh in between glasses, etc… there are not a lot of options out there in our area.
Benefits of a boxed wine:
- Easier to ship
- Less likely to break
- Easier to open than corked wine
- Easier to store in fridge (yes, I do like to fridge my reds… because I’m odd like that)
- There’s quite a bit of wine in that small of a box (4 bottles in this box)
- The pour spout is adorable and keeps air out so the rest of the wine stays fresh until you’re ready for it
- Does not have the cool uncorking sound
- Is it corked? Can you call it corked if there’s no cork? I’ll look into that
- It looks cheaper, even if it’s not
- Hard to impress your friends with your collection of boxes
- Does not fit on wine rack, though wine rack does fit on it
What about this wine in particular?
This Cab Sauv is actually a varietal blend(83% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Syrah, 2# Merlot, 2% Petit Sirah, 1% Sangiovese, 8% Dry Red) and pulls their grapes from several different vineyards in Northern California. I’m usually against varietals so I was a little concerned, but it is on the dry side for a Cab Sauv and still maintains a beautiful berry flavor with lighter a lighter tannin flavor. The tasting notes say blackberries and chocolate, but I’m not getting the chocolate or a particular berry.
What should you eat it with?
It pairs well with a glass. I guess you could listen to the tasting notes and enjoy it with “filet mignon and roast duck as well as wild mushroom ravioli.” Personally, I can see homemade ground tofu and veggie pasta sauce over bow-tie pasta and homemade bread, but that could just be me. It completely overpowered the Thai peanut chicken I made last night, but went well with the glass the night before.
We will most likely get this again. It is relatively inexpensive at Sam’s Club. Mr. Wonderful usually prefers crunch or crackle bars to a glass of wine at night and I do not like to open a bottle for myself. Good job Black Boxed Wines… good job.